Sunday, June 3, 2012

Free!


Free!

I have been fighting the tears
So i decided to write
Instead of with fist i decided to use my pen tonight
The rage of my clenched fist banging on this box
I got to break free as the Audiobodies Rock
In the back ground plays  the sound track of my life
I've had so many titles and none of them seemed to fit me just right
Its been a few years because of this writers block
I haven't written a poem since I cut off my lox
I am that caged bird that Dunbar heard sing
But Instead of banging my wings
I've decided to dream
i allowed Hughes to become the muse to my blues
So instead of sitting on the steps because i found it kinda hard I choose to step outta my box and leave my backyard
You see,

I know what Harriet Wheatley and her Pa knew
and the one thing that rang true was that
I am Free

 and will continue to be
No matter how many people may try to shackle me
I refuse to be a slave to the next man’s ignorance
I will do my dance
to the rhythm of my life
erasing the hurts

erasing the doubts
Using my pen to fight my bouts
I am no longer going to keep the hurt bottled up inside
allowing my ego and pride to cover up the hurt
i felt when he lied
how on the inside i cried and i cried...
but on the outside i wore a mask
wanting to slow down because my life
seemed to be moving to fast
to fast
too fast
two fast
where are the brakes
Been talking about the next man but i'm the one that’s being fake
But for whose sake?
Surely not for mine
because i continued to carry the burdens in my mind
Walking thru life trying to find an exit to happiness
Carrying the pain
needing to confess
that i allowed people to hurt me
But I rather let them think everything is copacetic
Am I the one whose really being pathetic?
Cus if their eyes truly allowed them to see,
the unhappiness that really dwells inside of me
I wanted to yell out HEY YOU HURT ME!
when you took our friendship for granted
But instead a seed of misery in my soul became planted
making me grow weary and old before my time
But it’s not in my nature to drop a dime
as the words no snitching came to mind.
So i decided to take my exit.
Which was somewhere between lady sings the blues and one of mary j's songs
or perhaps it was Erykah Badu
wherever it was
I decided to make myself all over brand new
I looked in the mirror and uttered those three words
I love you I luv u  i
So whatever you heard
about me no longer holds true
unless those words encompass the new found me
which are the greatest words that can ever be
those are the words  filled with love and compassion
or any of those great words your mind can fashion
those are the ones that i have embraced after all the challenges i have faced
i am ready to go collect my box and carry it to the landfill
so it can become compost
not to the recycling plant where it can find a new host
because Equality doesn't live there any more
My wings have healed and i'm ready to soar
I feel so free
Now you can continue to be blinded by your fantasies
but Just know that I am Free

 

No comments:

Post a Comment